CrowdCrypto Newsletter by Robin Sosnow, a securities attorney in NYC, graduate school professor at CMU, and founder of LawLab. The goal of this newsletter is to share valuable insights, incite conversation, and to bring awareness to the evolving regulatory
|🇺🇸 USA Regulatory Spotlight:
- 🔥New York State’s controversial BitLicense regulation may be one step closer to revision, as NY lawmakers on Friday agreed that a bill to reform may come “very soon”. The NY State BitLicense regulations were introduced in 2015 in attempts to regulate business use of virtual currencies, but has proven to be prohibitive as only three BitLicenses have been granted since its adoption.
- 🔥🔥Cloud-based messaging app Telegram destroyed the blockchain fundraising record previously held by Filecoin, raising $850 million in an ICO that began Jan. 29. It is reported that Telegram plans to raise $1.2 billion at the conclusion of the sale.
- 🇷🇺Russia continued their move towards embracing a blockchain democracy, integrating the ethereum blockchain into their “Active Citizen” program, where residents of the city of Moscow vote on initiatives to improve the city. The inclusion of blockchain technology is a move towards voter-government transparency, with opportunities for voters to monitor the voting process in real time on the blockchain.
- 🇯🇵In Japan, 16 cryptocurrency exchanges have banded together to begin the process ofcreating a self-regulatory body after the infamous Coincheck theft that resulted in $530 NEM being stolen less than a month ago. The goal of this initiative is to provide investors with greater security and to create an environment of regulatory practices that all accredited exchange operators will adhere to.
- Blockchain Week NYC: A series of events, including the Consensus conference, an industry Hackathon, and a Blockchain Job Fair. May 11-17.
- Crypto Invest Summit: Join industry leaders at the largest crypto expo space in the world. Los Angeles. Apr. 30 – May 2.
|Equity Crowdfunding Spotlight:
- 🔥🔥🔥This week, UK crowdfunding platform SyndicateRoom released a report indicating that investors in early-stage equities, such as startups, have enjoyed seven consecutive years of 30% growth. The report analyzed 519 UK startups founded between 2011 and 2017 and found that the FInTech industry posted the highest growth rate at 63%. Read the in-depth report here to find out more about the strength of startups.
- On Feb. 28, innovative funding platform PITCH drops and with it comes a new wave of token investment into startups. Entrepreneurs post summaries of products, prepare on-demand pitches for live audiences, and offer tokens for purchase during the live pitches to fund startups.
Source: CrowdCrypto Newsletter Issue #10