Announced at VMworld Europe VMware NSX (Software Defined Network) goes General Availability (thanks to a great team of friends updating and talking to me about this one).
NSX is the industry’s first network and security virtualization platform that delivers the entire networking and security model in software, decoupled from hardware. The VMware NSX platform brings together the best of Nicira NVP and VMware vCloud Network and Security (vCNS) into one unified platform. NSX can be deployed over existing physical networks or next generation hardware from vendors including Cisco, Dell, and HP, Juniper, Brocade and others.
This launch is a major milestone that showcases our continuous cycle of innovation and will position us to revolutionize networking in the same way we did for compute with server virtualization.
NSX provides these key capabilities:
- Logical Switching – Reproduce the entire Layer 2 switching functionality in a virtual environment, completely decoupled from underlying hardware
- Logical Routing – Distributed Layer 3 routing between logical switches and support for dynamic routing protocols to interface with the hardware routers
- Logical Firewall – Distributed, kernel embedded firewall with line rate performance, identity awareness and activity monitoring
- Logical Load Balancer – Full featured load balancer with SSL termination
- Logical VPN – Site-to-Site and Remote Access VPN in software
- NSX API – RESTful API for integration into cloud management platforms and other third-party solutions
- Partner Extensibility Framework
- Security Automation via Service Composer
- Integration with multiple cloud management platforms including vCloud Automation Center 6.0, Openstack and Cloudstack
NSX Introduction Video:
NSX Product Pages:
NSX Ecosystem and Third-Party Products Support:
Release Notes, Documentation and Product Downloads:
http://www.vmware.com/products/nsx/ -> ‘NSX Support’